Sitting down too much can seriously damage our health. And yes, that includes you.
Here are some links (they open in new tabs) which tell us more:
- Probing Question: Is sitting bad for your health? | Penn State University
- Sitting all day is really bad for you. Here’s why – Vox
- Sit More, And You’re More Likely To Be Disabled After Age 60 : Shots – Health News : NPR
- JustStand.org: The Facts About Sitting and Standing
- Sitting down on the job is slowly killing you – Sydney Morning Herald
- Spending less time sitting down could be the key to living longer | Daily Mail Online
- Sitting down is KILLING you, says top doctor | Daily Mail Online
- Employers advised to bring staff to their feet with standup desks to improve health | Daily Mail Online
- Stand up at your office desk for a healthier heart and brain: NHS is trialling the benefits of height-adjustable desks
- This Chair-Free Office Bans Sitting | Co.Design | business design
- Stand up and be counted
- Restless movements undo the damage caused by sitting say Leeds University and UCL
- People who exercise but spend long periods sitting could be harming their health
- Desk standing is like ‘training for a marathon’, researchers say
- Light-intensity walk, every 30 minutes could increase energy levels
- How can YOU stay active when you’re tied to your office job?
- How standing desks are improving productivity for small businesses – May 2017
I decided to buy an adjustable ‘stand up desk’. These have a variety of names, others include: ‘standing desk’, ‘sit stand desk’ and ‘standupdesk’.
Being in Australia, on the Gold Coast in Queensland, I wanted to source a suitable standing desk from a supplier based in Australia, primarily to keep the shipping costs reasonable.
My key buying criteria included:
- Value for money
- Reasonable shipping cost
- Functionality – easily adjustable and electrically powered
- Ease of use
- Ease of deployment (assembly)
- Timely delivery/availability
- Attractive appearance
- Size – not too big, nor too small
- Supplier who I felt I could trust
- Ability to order online and thus avoid spending lots of time attending shops in person
Ergo-Rise Height Adjustable Sit Stand Desk, Electric Office Desk, Ergonomic, Standing Desks : http://buydirectonline.com.au/office-tables/height-adjustable-tables/ergo-rise-height-adjustable-desk by Office Furniture Direct.
Ergo-rise Height Adjustable Sit Stand Desk – 150kg Lifting Capacity – Desk Top Colour: Cherry Timber – Top Size: 1200 x 600mm
I paid AUD $749 and just $33 for shipping – both the desk and shipping were discounted – the desk by 50%, the shipping by more than 50%. (Prices include GST).
My desk was ordered on 27 August 2014 (after business hours) and delivered by Toll Express on 18th September. At time of ordering I was aware that the delivery could take around 3 weeks.
During my research phase, the Office Furniture Direct website impressed me – among other things; the 10 year factory warranty, hand-built in Australia, Australian owned and operated, the impressive client list and the testimonials.
The consignment arrived (I ordered another desk for a family member’s business also) intact and securely packed in a chip board box which was screwed shut. My desk was easy to assemble, however the instruction sheet could do with some improvement. I am impressed with the quality and robust feel of the desks.
Having used the stand up desks for about 2 weeks now, I can say that we are very happy with our purchase and feel much better physically – it’s so nice to be able to have a break from sitting down, while still remaining productive and getting work done.
I would definitely order more products from Office Furniture Direct. Hopefully this article will help many Australian readers in their search to find a suitable supplier of adjustable stand up desks. (I have not been paid for this article, nor received any inducement – Besides helping my readers with useful information, I like to support good suppliers by giving back).
And by the way, by using a stand up desk you will of course be spending more time on your feet. Consider your footwear – here’s why: Agonising pain, broken bones and even spinal damage…Forget killer heels. It’s flats that really leave your feet in agony
PS: I was impressed with the quality and timeliness of the customer service response to a minor issue we had early on:
My message to the company:
Ref: #8166 Update concerning one of two desks we ordered. Both desks were assembled and tested as working – up and down buttons worked. Next day we discovered that one up button did not work on one desk. Partly disassembled desk to access wire for buttons. Unplugged wire and tested in other socket = worked OK. Put back in original socket = worked OK. We are not, therefore, reporting the desk as faulty however the issue is disconcerting and we hope it will not recur. This message is to make you aware of the issue.
Thanks very much for your order and this email feedback. This is very important for us and we have sent this correspondence directly to the head of engineering in the manufacturing department. This could just be a setup and reset issue with the transformer, they are checked in the factory prior to dispatch and this is the first time we have had this issue occur. If we get a response from the manufacturer with any reason why this would happen we will let you know. All the best with these desks, have a great afternoon.