We have created this privacy statement in order to demonstrate our firm and continuing commitment to the privacy of personal information provided by those visiting and interacting with this web site. We hold the privacy of your personal information in the highest regard. The following discloses our information gathering and dissemination practices for this website.
We recognise the importance of protecting your privacy and our policy is designed to assist you in understanding how we collect, use and safeguard the personal information you provide to us and to assist you in making informed decisions when using our site. This policy will be continuously assessed against new technologies, business practices and our customers’ needs.
The short version:
Good business practice, including a focus on good customer relations/service; and basic human decency/spiritual principles, means that we do not abuse peoples’ privacy. We are discreet in all that we do and hate Spam.
The long version:
What Information Do We Collect?
When you visit this web site you may provide us with two main types of information: personal information you knowingly, or unknowingly, choose to disclose that is collected on an individual basis and Web site use information collected on an aggregate basis as you and others browse our Web site.
The personal information Leon Aleksander Rowan (Alex Rowan) may collect and use includes:
- information about your use of this website;
- information that you provide using for the purpose of registering with the website;
- information about transactions carried out over this website;
- information that you provide for the purpose of subscribing to the website services and;
- any other information that you send or provide to Leon Aleksander Rowan (Alex Rowan) in the course of any business dealings. This may include your name, phone number, date of birth, address, political views, race, religious or spiritual orientation, health information, mental health information, philosophical beliefs, membership of professional or trade association or political party, sexual preferences or practices, criminal record, genetic information, relationship information, family information and more.
1. Personal Information You Choose to Provide
Personal information about visitors to our site is collected only when knowingly and voluntarily submitted. For example, we may need to collect such information to provide you with further services or to answer or forward any requests or enquiries. It is our intention that this policy will protect your personal information from being dealt with in any way that is inconsistent with applicable privacy laws in Australia.
When you register for any of our products, services or newsletters you will provide us information about yourself.
Credit Card Information
If you choose to avail of our services, you may need to give personal information and authorization to obtain information from various credit services. For example, you may need to provide the following information:
- Mailing/billing address
- Email address
- Name on credit card
- Credit card number
- Credit card billing address
- Business and home phone number
Note: When you pay via PayPal we do not see any of your credit card details.
If you choose to correspond with us through email, we may retain the content of your email messages together with your email address and our responses. We provide the same protections for these electronic communications that we employ in the maintenance of information received by mail and telephone.
Want To Remain Anonymous?
If you wish, you can interact with us anonymously and/or use a pseudonym in some cases. Of course, some payment methods, or actions/services may mean that you need to either be identified, or disclose at least some information. One example is that if you would like me to visit you at your home, or place of work. I will of course need your address.
If for example, you want to visit me for counselling services and use a fake name, and pay with cash, then you may do so. You will be offered a receipt, without obligation. I would add however that all my takings are declared to the authorities in full, and paying in cash does not mean that you will get discounted rates, or that any kind of fraud will take place.
If we do not collect personal information it may not be possible to provide you with services, depending on the situation.
2. Use Of Information
Similar to other commercial Web sites, our Web site utilizes a standard technology called “cookies” (see explanation below, “What Are Cookies?”) and web server log files to collect information about how our Web site is used. Information gathered through cookies and Web server logs may include the date and time of visits, the pages viewed, time spent at our Web site, and the Web sites visited just before and just after our Web site.
How Do We Use the Information That You Provide to Us? Broadly speaking, we use personal information for purposes of administering our business activities, to monitor the use of the service, in our marketing and promotional efforts, to improve our content and service offerings, customize our site’s content, layout, services and for other lawful purposes. These uses improve our site and better tailor it to meet your needs.
Furthermore, such information may be shared with others on an aggregate basis. Personally identifiable information or business information will not be shared with parties except as required by law.
Occasionally, we may also use the information we collect to notify you about important changes to our Website, new services, and special offers we think you will find valuable. You may notify us at any time if you do not wish to receive these offers by emailing us at the link provided on the newsletter, or by unsubscribing from our blog post subscription (email or RSS versions).
In addition to the above, Leon Aleksander Rowan (Alex Rowan) may use your personal information to:
- personalize the website for you;
- enable your access to and use of the website services;
- publish information about you on the website;
- send to you products that you purchase;
- supply to you services that you purchase;
- send to you statements and invoices;
- collect payments from you;
- follow up your inquirie(s);
- be polite and thoughtful; such as inquire how you are,
- do anything that a ‘reasonable person’ might expect, and
- send you marketing communications.
Google Adsense and the DoubleClick DART Cookie
What Are Cookies?
How Do We Use Information We Collect from Cookies?
IP addresses are used by your computer every time you are connected to the Internet. Your IP address is a number that is used by computers on the network to identify your computer. IP addresses are automatically collected by our web server as part of demographic and profile data known as traffic data so that data (such as the Web pages you request) can be sent to you. Also, our web servers gather your IP address to assist with the diagnosis of problems or support issues with our services. Again, information is gathered in aggregate only and cannot be traced to an individual user.
Collecting information on Registered members
- As part of registering with us, we collect personal information about you in order for you to take full advantage of our services. To do this it may be necessary for you to provide additional information to us as detailed below.
Registration is completely optional. Registration may include submitting your name, email address, address, telephone numbers, option on receiving updates and promotional material and other information. You may access this information at any time by logging in and going to your account.
Credit Card Details
- Credit Card details are only stored for the processing of payment and will be deleted once payment is processed. In the case of payments via PayPal or other merchant systems, we never get the Credit Card details.
Sharing and Selling Information
We do not share, sell, lend or lease any of the information that uniquely identifies (such as email addresses or personal details) a subscriber, client or person (such as a commentator) with anyone except to the extent it is necessary to process transactions or provide services, goods or information that you have requested, or otherwise complies with the terms on this website.
Where Leon Aleksander Rowan (Alex Rowan) discloses your personal information to its agents or sub-contractors for these purposes, the agent or sub-contractor in question will be obligated to use that personal information in accordance with the terms of this privacy statement.
Quality And Integrity Of Information
- Quality – we take reasonable steps to ensure that information collected, used or disclosed is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading.
How Can You Access and Correct Your Information?
You may request access to all your personally identifiable information that we collect online, or otherwise, and maintain in our database by emailing us at the usual address listed on our contact page here, or phoning, or writing.
Please note that we will have to take steps to ensure that it is really you requesting your information. For example; I have come across accounts of how a variety of individuals (including Private Investigators) have pretended to be other people, and requested their details in accordance with privacy law. This method of illegal data acquisition tries to take advantage of human fallibility in various ways, one of which is that many people receiving such a request would assume that only the real subject would ask in that way. We request your understanding then; that should you request your private information – that we will employ stringent methods to ensure that it is really you making the request, and not some insurer, bank, Private Investigator, neighbour, ex-partner or other unauthorised person. Personally, I have experience in ‘counter-intelligence’ and am well versed in the ruses people use to try to obtain information.
- We will endeavour to take all reasonable steps to keep secure any information which we hold about you, and to keep this information accurate and up to date. If, at any time, you discover that information held about you is incorrect, you may contact us to have the information corrected.
- In addition, our employees and the contractors who provide services related to our information systems are obliged to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by us.
- Apart from where you have consented or disclosure is necessary to achieve the purpose for which it was submitted, personal information may be disclosed in special situations where we have reason to believe that doing so is necessary to contact, identify, or bring legal action against anyone who may be: violating our Terms of Service, injuring, damaging, or otherwise interfering (unintentionally or intentionally) with our rights or property, users, or anyone else who could be harmed by such activities. Also, we may disclose information when legally compelled to do so, in other words, when we, in good faith, believe that the law requires it, or for the exercise and protection of our legal rights, or in connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings.
- We may engage third parties to provide you with goods or services on our behalf. In that circumstance, we may disclose your personal information to those third parties in order to meet your request for goods or services.
What About Other Web Sites Linked to Our Web Site?
We provide links to Web sites outside of our web sites, as well as to third party Web sites. These linked sites are not under our control, and we cannot accept responsibility for the conduct of companies linked to our website. Before disclosing your personal information on any other website, we advise you to examine the terms and conditions of using that Web site and its privacy statement.
We are not responsible for the practices employed by Web sites linked to or from our Web site or the information or content contained therein. Often links to other Web sites are provided solely as pointers to information on topics that may be useful to the users of our Web site.
Our Commitment To Data Security
Please note that your information will be stored and processed on our computers/services primarily in Australia, the United States, United Kingdom, Ireland, Israel, Canada, Germany, France, New Zealand, but also possibly elsewhere. The nature of data processing these days means that data can even be stored in a ‘transit point’ somewhere between our computers and yours, or between where data is stored and our/your computers. The laws on holding personal data in Australia and the United States may be less stringent than the laws of your Country of residence or citizenship. To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, prevent loss, misuse or alteration, and ensure the correct use of information, we have put in place appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online and via other methods. Online payments are protected by secure methods and technology.
- We strive to ensure the security, integrity and privacy of personal information submitted to our sites, and we review and update our security measures in light of current technologies. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be totally secure.
- However, we will endeavour to take all reasonable steps to protect the personal information you may transmit to us or from our online products and services. Once we do receive your transmission, we will also make our best efforts to ensure its security on our systems.
- All personal information is protected from misuse, loss, disclosure, and unauthorised access.
- In addition, our employees and the contractors who provide services related to our information systems are obliged to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by us. However, we will not be held responsible for events arising from unauthorised access to your personal information.
Destruction Of Information
Our background includes information security, including IT security, counter intelligence and intelligence gathering (HUMINT & SIGINT). Accordingly, when information needs to be destroyed, we are well versed in ensuring it is properly done. In the case of computer hard drives for example, not only are redundant hard drives wiped with extremely high security methods (above US Department Of Defense), we then use magnetic devices, and finally, a drill. No hard drive leaves our premises intact.
As an aside, at no stage is any of our computer hardware ever taken off site for repair. Any onsite repairs are constantly supervised and customer data is always locked down.
This has been our policy for years, regardless of changes in privacy law.
This site and Leon Aleksander Rowan (Alex Rowan), allows visitors to unsubscribe so that they will not receive future messages in accordance with their wishes. After unsubscribing we will discontinue sending the particular messages as soon as technically feasible.
From time-to-time our site requests information from users via surveys. Participation in these surveys is completely voluntary and the user therefore has a choice whether or not to disclose this information. Information requested may include contact information (such as name and shipping address), and demographic information (such as zip code, age level). Survey information will be used for purposes which include monitoring or improving the use and satisfaction of this site.
Cross-border data transfers
In addition, personal information that you submit for publication on the website will be published on the internet and may be available around the world.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas based services we use have appropriate privacy safeguards.
You agree to such cross-border transfers of personal information. If you object, please do not use our services, or purchase anything from us.
Also, see comments in ‘Our Commitment To Data Security’ above. Relevant part copied here for your convenience: Please note that your information will be stored and processed on our computers/services primarily in Australia, the United States, United Kingdom, Ireland, Israel, Canada, Germany, France, New Zealand, but also possibly elsewhere. The nature of data processing these days means that data can even be stored in a ‘transit point’ somewhere between our computers and yours, or between where data is stored and our/your computers.
Here is a good example of how peoples’ information can be viewed in multitudes of countries: when we follow an individual on Twitter and make a comment of a client nature to an account we are following, then we are revealing to the world some personal information, even if it is simply that we are a client, or potential client. Twitter is of course the holder of the information, but so is, to a degree, the Twitter account owner. If the Twitter account owner replies, as would probably be expected, then that reply is visible in multitudes of countries. We suggest then that if you are concerned about privacy, that you bear this kind of thing in mind and perhaps even be wary of organisations that simply say that your data is only accessed in one or two countries – if you look deeper, you will almost certainly find it is not.
Another example is that if a business uses a foreign task manager app to ensure that a client appointment is not missed, and the app is actually hosted in yet another country (which may be a trade secret of the app developer) and that country is different to where the app is based; then we have a situation where client data leaves Australia, is handled by the app in, or via overseas, and is in turn hosted in a third country.
A Special Note About Children
Children are not eligible to use our services unsupervised and we ask that children (under the age of 18, or 21 in some jurisdictions) do not submit any personal information to us. If you are a minor, you can use this service only in conjunction with permission and guidance from your parents or guardians.
Acquisition or Changes in Ownership
In the event that the web site (or a substantial portion of its assets) is acquired, your information would be considered part of those assets, and may be part of those assets that are transferred.
Problems Or Questions
- If we become aware of any ongoing concerns or problems with our web sites, we will take these issues seriously and work to address these concerns.
- For more information about privacy issues in Australia and protecting your privacy, visit the Australian Federal Privacy Commissioner’s web site; http://www.privacy.gov.au/.